What will come...

There are times in my life, while observing my surroundings, I ask myself...What will come of this world. I ask this of the human condition. Not our health, or ecology, or finance, but rather our general actions. How we look at life, and what's important. I just want to throw my opinion out there and see what trouble I can stir up. Hope you do the same.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

I am not the everyday sort. As you read the posts, you will know all you need to know about me, and somethings you don't. Feel free to leave a responce, but don't try to sell me something, or just try to make me read your blog. I will read yours if you leave a thought prevoking responce. Be nice to me, I will return the favor.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Death of the language...

I decided to post one "word" a day. I say "word" with a certain level of sarcasm. I think there is an ever evolving virus in the English vernacular. What's worse is that I have no way to name the virus. The one thing I know is that the words I present to you will show their true value when you picture them being said by a 60 year old white man. The words I will list, and only one a day, are some kind of conglomeration of slang that I cannot see being accepted into society but are anyhow.

Today's word is...And get ready for it...Here it comes...Stand back....The crap is about to hit the fan...O.K....Here goes.....This is the one and only time I will ever allow myself to type, or heaven forbid, say.......BLING BLING.

damn, that really hurt. No, seriously, that nearly killed me. I cannot take anymore of this friggin(said in case children read this) syllabic sound. I can't bring myself to say it is a word because really, it isn't. Don't call me a hypocrite for using "friggin", I did that out of respect. Every day, it seems like our culture is under attack from every corner of our own society. I'm not saying "our" culture to describe one race or another, but rather describe the American Culture. I thought that it was bad enough that the word "like" has been interjected into every single conversation as a replacement for concise expression. "She was like, and I was like, and they were like, and we were like, and the dog was like, and the toilet was like" Come on now people, can't we have conversations where it's not a guessing game to figure out what we are all trying to convey?

I hate to think that the language we have had is being altered for the sake of being "hip". Now, I know that our American history, our ancestors both recent and ancient have made our language evolve into something that barely resembles it's origins, but there has to be a line somewhere. Now from the days of the Plymouth settlers, we developed new words. But, these words developed as our lives did. They were invented to describe things people never saw, but there was a difference. Maybe you remember a little thing called ROOT WORDS? Ahhh....Now you see. Root words, and conjunctions are what other words are made of to develop a new word. Most new words developed in the last 200 years were compiled from existing definitions of other things. Or, some words were developed with a root word who's origins come from Latin, Spanish, German, or another descendant language.

But now, words are being developed to sell a counter culture, or just to further separate people into different classes. I offer to you all the fact that as this language continues to splinter, a more serious rift between classes and races will occur. Now I'm not saying that we have to go back to the days of Ye, Thowe, Nay, Yea, and all that, but somewhere, we have to understand that all of this slang terminology that we continue to accept or deny will adversely effect out nations future. If we don't reinforce common grammatical discipline, we will have a culture that is not the world leader, but a culture struggling to be understood not only by the world or by ourselves.

Picture this if you will, and then I will stop. You are the owner of a business and you have to hire someone for a position that deals with customers. You have to candidates for the position, each with identical education, experience, age, for the most part identical. You say the following to each;

I'm glad that you applied for the job, now tell me about yourself.

The first candidate says;

Well, I am a hard working, outgoing type of person and I feel that I would be an asset to your company. I think this is a good avenue to further my experience and my career.

The second candidate says;

Yo Yo Yo, I'm da bom. Yeah Yeah Yeah my nizzle, I'm da sh*t, I bring much to da game, so I can gets my props and some BLING BLING.

Now who would you hire? By the way...The candidates are both 40 and white. Color doesn't matter. Black, white, brown, yellow, red. This is not about race, to me it sounds as ridiculous from a black teen as it is from a white 30 year old. After all, I will post more words that will show that whites have done far more damage to the language than any other race. I can't remember the last time I heard P-Doody(or what ever he calls himself these days), say he was coming out with a new video that was "like, totally awesome dude".

P.S. to prove my point, Bling was identified when I ran the spell check. Any Questions?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yea.. Well. No, but honestly Frank, the language is still there, you can find it in books. You can listen to music with harmony, form, structure - know where I'm at old chap? The modern Greeks have largely avoided imports into the language - and see where THEY are! Not really your point, but if the English language did not adopt some of its perversions, it would not be the great language it is now. Don't be offended, I wish I knew you well enough to favour you with my normal insults! Bob's the name - see if you like my language.....

Sat Jan 31, 07:13:00 AM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home