What will come...

There are times in my life, while observing my surroundings, I ask myself...What will come of this world. I ask this of the human condition. Not our health, or ecology, or finance, but rather our general actions. How we look at life, and what's important. I just want to throw my opinion out there and see what trouble I can stir up. Hope you do the same.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

I am not the everyday sort. As you read the posts, you will know all you need to know about me, and somethings you don't. Feel free to leave a responce, but don't try to sell me something, or just try to make me read your blog. I will read yours if you leave a thought prevoking responce. Be nice to me, I will return the favor.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What happened to Ice Cream?

Ice Cream!!! One of my happy things. I can remember how much joy ice cream brought me as a child. It's purity and creamy joy. As I grew older, it became less of a treat, and more a sense of remembrance. It was to a point, memory in a cone. But now as I am a full fledged consumer, ice cream is now an annoyance. Other than the "Friendly's" 5 scoop, Reese Pieces Sunday, the only ice cream I would eat was Breyer's. There was nothing like opening up a "1/2" gallon of Mint Chocolate Chip, grabbing a bowl, a scooper, a spoon, and the remote control, all to enjoy the wonder the was Breyer's Ice Cream. It was complete unadulterated bliss. But a few years ago, something terrible happened. The familiar rectangular box(that leaked at the corners), gave way to the new, more stylish, 1/2 gallon container. This was the start of my disdain for Ice cream. Within a few month's, Breyer's offered the "Space Saver", container. The volume of this container was 1.75 quarts. Hmmm....A full 1/2 gallon, or 1.75 quarts. O.K., 2 sizes. Interesting. Breyer's Offered both sizes for about 6 mounts before removing the "space Saver" logo from the smaller carton. This led to both package sizes being displayed next to each other, while not to my surprise, there was only one price tag. "What gives" I asked myself. But something even more sinister was on the horizon. With every journey to the supermarket, the 1/2 gallon size container was disappearing faster than Oprahs blackness when in a white crowd. Breyer's has now completely dissolved their 1/2 gallon product line, and they led the way. Every other company has done the same. It equals a 12.5% increase in price, or reduction in product. Therefore, I have begun contacting all the companies I could and expressing my anger. I got a response from Breyers, saying they had to remain competitive. What they don't realize is that there are millions of customers who remain loyal to a company that would remain loyal to us. Now, I know that this seems to be a very petty rant, but it goes so much further than Ice Cream. The formula of conditioning the consumer has become so overwhelmingly prevalent, that nothing we remember from any of our childhoods will be left untouched. There is an old adage that says if you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, he will jump right out. But, if you drop a frog into a cool pot of water, he will remain there, even as you raise the heat gradually to a boiling point. I believe that if we as Americans keep allowing ourselves to remain complacent in this comforting bath, we will all be cooked alive before we can make a difference. For God sake, take a stand and let your voice be heard. Let us all get our ice cream the way we remember. Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home